Car repair can be tricky and expensive at times. So it’s important to invest in a reliable and trustworthy auto repair shop that caters to all your maintenance needs.
Why not try hiring a mobile mechanic?
They can bring the repair to your driveway.
So the question arises, how much does a mobile mechanic cost?
In this article, we will take you through the services that a mobile mechanic offers, price lists, and a few frequently asked questions.
This Article Contains
- How Much Does A Mobile Mechanic Cost?
- 5 Mobile Mechanic FAQs
Let’s get straight into mobile auto repair prices.
How Much Does A Mobile Mechanic Cost?
The cost of mobile mechanics is often at par (or cheaper) than auto repair shops. However, the total cost depends on several factors, including the age of your vehicle, the distance the car mechanic needs to travel, and the type of work the repair demands.
The cost of mobile auto repair also depends on whether they work for an independent repair shop or for an established dealership.
Here is a comprehensive price list of common mobile mechanic jobs and their prices:
|Air conditioning and cooling system replacement or repair
|$20 – $50
|$35 – $150
|Car inspection and routine maintenance
|$50 – $150
|Alternator belt replacement
|$70 – $200
|$45 – $250
|Brake pad replacement
|$20 – $400
|Water pump replacement
|$250 – $650
|Starter motor replacement
|$150 – $1000
|Timing belt/chain replacement
|$300 – $1000
|$1200 – $1400
Note: Mobile RV repair prices might cost $100-$150 more on average than a standard road car repair.
Let’s keep learning about the cost of mobile mechanics.
5 Mobile Mechanic FAQs
Now that we have a general understanding of how much a mobile mechanic service costs, let’s go a bit deeper.
Here are answers to a few common questions about mobile auto repair prices:
1. What Do Mobile Mechanics Do?
Mobile car repair technicians do the same work as any other vehicle repair dealership. The only difference is — they are mobile!
Whether you’re experiencing car problems at home or at work, a mobile mechanic will come to your location, diagnose the exact problem, and perform the mobile car repair.
A mobile car mechanic will often operate out of their own truck, van, or trailer instead of at a repair shop. This eliminates the difficult task of transporting your issue-ridden vehicle to a dealership that could be miles away.
And while mobile technicians usually can’t perform all the jobs an auto repair shop can, they are reliable and will undoubtedly get car owners back on the road.
A typical mobile mechanic service includes:
- Engine repair
- Brake repair
- Routine maintenance and car inspection
- Clutch and control inspections
- Electrical, cooling system, and air conditioning service
- AC service and cleaning
- Battery replacement
- Wheel inspection, tire rotations, and tire change
- Mobile RV repair
- Steering re-centering
They can even provide you with gas help if you need it.
2. What Is The Average Salary Of A Mobile Mechanic?
As with any career or job, the salary of a mobile mechanic business depends on various factors like location, reputation, experience, what the repair demands are, and the worker’s skill.
Mobile auto mechanics with a lot of mobile mechanic business experience and skills will get higher mechanic labor costs than someone new to the industry.
As of 2020, the average base salary for a mobile mechanic in the United States is around $52,000. The best mobile mechanic, with over 8 years of experience, will generally earn around $61,000+ per year.
3. What Other Factors Affect The Cost Of A Mobile Mechanic?
Generally, the average cost of a mobile mechanic service depends on the length of the vehicle repair job plus the average “per hour” labor costs. These mechanic labor costs usually sit between $75 – $160 per hour.
So why such a big variance?
These labor costs are separated from the salary that mobile mechanics will earn if they work for a company. Here are a few factors that will influence the price of a mechanic:
- A mobile mechanic charge will include any extra car parts and materials that the repair demands. For example, an AC service might require the mechanic to bring specialized parts, like an evaporator or expansion tube.
- The nature of the job will also cause prices to fluctuate. For example, simple gas help or a tire change will probably be cheaper than an alternator belt replacement.
- Costs will also vary based on the commute distance that the car mechanic needs to make. The urgency of the mobile car repair affects the mechanic’s cost, too.
- Whether the repair is covered by car insurance will also influence the overall price.
- The day of the week may also influence the mobile mechanic charge. For example, an auto mechanic may demand a higher price on Sundays or during the holiday season. An auto shop would also charge this fee.
- Mobile mechanics usually work on a 24 hour basis. The time of day might influence the cost of the repair.
- Whether the auto mechanic works for an established repair shop or is an independent repair shop
The experience, reputation, and certifications will further influence the cost of an auto mechanic.
4. What Are The Benefits Of A Mobile Mechanic?
There are many benefits that come with hiring a mobile mechanic that a car repair shop cannot provide:
- A mobile auto mechanic will come to you, making their service more convenient.
- A mobile auto mechanic eliminates the need to call a towing service, as they will perform a vehicle repair wherever you are.
- Mobile mechanics carry out almost all car repair jobs that an auto shop would do.
- You can explain the exact problem over the phone, saving time.
- Many mobile mechanics work 7 days a week, meaning they are more available than shops.
- They will work with your vehicle warranty or insurance.
- They tend to be cheaper than going to an auto repair shop.
5. Should I Prefer A Mobile Mechanic To An Auto Repair Shop?
Mobile mechanics clearly come with a lot of benefits. It’s important to know, however, that they do add an extra service fee that a repair shop normally wouldn’t charge.
Auto repair shop customers who use mobile mechanics will save in the long run as towing service and winching service fees will not be needed.
On top of that, mobile mechanics make repair work proactive, meaning that auto repair customers will save in the long run.
Want to try out a mobile mechanic near you?
Contact A Mobile Mechanic Today!
If you’re convinced about the unending benefits of a mobile mechanic, why not make a call?
Contact AutoNation Mobile Service today to schedule a reliable and efficient mechanic to come to you.
AutoNation Mobile Service offers the best mobile mechanic and maintenance services that will come to your driveway instead of making you travel to a shop or dealership. We offer competitive pricing, online booking, and a 12-month and 12,000-mile warranty on all our repairs.
Our mobile mechanics are technical experts with all the necessary tools to complete the job you need. The mobile team is able to perform 90% of all automotive repairs or maintenance on-site.
Visit our website to book an appointment to schedule a car inspection or find out more details.