While a check engine light, or CEL, can mean a lot of different things, from a bad fuel cap to a failed ignition system, it’s a serious issue and should be remedied as soon as possible. Here in Los Angeles these CELs and trouble codes can result in a failed emissions test, preventing you from registering your vehicle. If your car or truck is experiencing a CEL, consult AutoNation Mobile Service today for a mobile check engine light diagnosis in Los Angeles, and get that pesky light off your dashboard.
Common Causes for a Check Engine Light
As mentioned before, the check engine light can be as simple as a loose gas cap, a bad battery, or even a small hose leak. On the other hand, a CEL can indicate a much more serious issue, and if left ignored can result in serious repair bills. By being proactive and diagnosing your check engine light early, you can help prevent additional problems down the line.
With so many modern engine management systems in place, the check engine light can indicate a wide range of potential faults and issues. Here are just a few of the most common causes of a CEL:
- Loose Fuel Cap: One of the easiest issues to remedy, a loose gas cap affects the emissions system, and simply needs to be re-fitted to clear the error. If the problem persists, the gas cap seals may have worn out.
- Oxygen Sensor: The oxygen sensor is a vital part of the engine management system and helps regulate the fuel input. A faulty sensor can result in reduced fuel economy and poor emissions.
- Mass Airflow Sensor: Much like the oxygen sensor, the mass airflow sensor, or MAF, regulates the engine. A dirty or faulty sensor will give bad readings, negatively affecting performance.
- Spark Plugs: Dirty or fouled spark plugs will give inconsistent spark, affecting performance and fuel economy.
- Catalytic Converter: As of the most important emissions components, the catalytic converter helps reduce harmful smog, but can get clogged over time, affecting overall emissions and performance.
Prevent a Failed Smog Test
In California, a check engine light will cause your vehicle to instantly fail its smog test, a requirement for vehicle registration. Addressing your CEL ensures your vehicle remains compliant but also helps prevent potential damage that could result in more costly repairs down the line.
Check Engine Light Diagnosis in Los Angeles
If your car, truck, or SUV is experiencing check engine light issues, contact AutoNation Mobile Service for a mobile check engine light diagnosis. Our ASE-certified technicians have the latest tools and software to diagnose your vehicle, giving you insight and recommendations on how to solve the problem. Best of all, we can repair many of these check engine light issues on-site, helping solve your CEL issues all at once.
Don’t let a check engine light ruin your day here in Los Angeles, choose AutoNation Mobile Service for a mobile diagnosis and get back on the road with confidence.